Top Installation Problems and their fixes:
1. Computer isn't running Microsoft Windows. Please make sure you have Microsoft WIndows XP or Windows 7. The software won't work with Macs, Unix/Linux, or mobile devices.
2. Computer isn't running a recent version of Microsoft Excel. Make sure that you have Excel 2000, 2007, or 2010. If you have Excel 2000, you'll also need the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack.
3. There may have been a problem with the prerequisite installation of the Mapwingis component. For the large majority of the people who don't get the software to work on the first attempt, 80% of the time the solution is:
Install the following Mapwingis component
then try the installation program again:
Please note that you do NOT need to uninstall your first attempt before installing it again.
4. If you've completed the above step, and it still doesn't work, then un-install Sales Territory Map (Windows add/remove programs) and install it again from the download page.
5. If none of the above worked, please pick up the phone and call us at (908) 899-1890 during normal buisness hours (Eastern time). We've been able to diagnose every installation problem thus far, and get all callers satisfied.
The installation program on this site is composed of a number of parts. We will explain each of those parts to give you a better understanding on where the program may have had difficulties.
Step 1: It downloads the file to your personal computer
A personal computer, or PC, is a desktop or laptop computer running Windows.
This is business application software, and as such, will not work on Macs, iPhones, iPads, smartphones, or Etch-a-sketches.
The software has been tested on Windows XP, Vista, and 7.
Step 2: It unzips the file into your temp directory
Map files are large (the ZIP code shape file is 90 MB). We zip (compress) the files to make them easier to download. This means that your computer needs to store the download (approximately 75 MB) as well as the uncompressed shape files. So please make sure that you have enough hard drive space free for the files to uncompress. If you see the phrase "uncompressing files" then you know that this step is being completed.
Step 3: It looks for and installs prerequisites
Prerequisites are applications or Windows components that are required to run the software. One of these is .NET 2.0, which may be installed if you haven't updated your Windows in a long time.
The other major prerequisite, MapWinGIS, is one that you probably don't already have, unless you do a lot of GIS mapping. MapWinGIS.ocx is a free and open source ActiveX control that provides your computer with advanced mapping functionality. For more information, visit the MapWinGIS website.
If you receive any error messages that reference the MapWinGIS ocx (i.e. failed to register MapWinGIS), then you can try the standalone MapWinGIS installer in Step 3 of the above section (called mapwingis47sra-x86-setup.exe)
Step 4: It opens a cmd / DOS window
This window opens to what appears to be a black screen with no text on it. The purpose of this screen is to inform the installation package to hold off on deleting the temp files. It doesn't do anything else, but if it opens, then you know that you've successfully installed the other prerequisites.
Step 5: You are presented with the End-User License Agreement
Read the license agreement and click on "I accept" if you agree to the terms of the license agreement. If you do not accept the license agreement, the software will not continue its installation.
Step 6: Sales Territory Map is installed on your machine.
All of the files from the temp directory are copied over to the installation directory. We use a clickonce installation program from Microsoft, which automatically determines the installation folder.
Step 7: Sales Territory Map is added to your Start menu and an icon is placed on your desktop
This is a good validation check to ensure that the software completed its installation. You may now close the cmd/DOS window that says "Press any button when finished"
Step 8: Sales Territory Map launches
The program starts and opens a browser window to provide you with instructions on how to use Sales Territory Map the first time.